Input/output on interlinked plants extending over a wide area
PSSuniversal - The modular control platform for safety and standard
With the PSSuniversal, safety-related and/or standard control functions are performed decentrally at field level.
Communication at control level is via common fieldbus systems and/or the safe, open bus system SafetyBUS p.
The system is modular in design and is therefore expandable and can be used in a wide range of applications. With the PSSuniversal Assistant you can quickly and easily configure your own individual solution on the PC. You can use the PSSuniversal Startup Tool to test the periphery independently from the commissioning of the fieldbus system and controller.Detailed information on the individual modules is available by clicking on the boxes below. You can also get information on the key benefits and features of PSSuniversal.
Switch control signals directly in the field
For safety-related and standard control functions
Use the decentralised PSSuniversal control platform for the combined input/output of safety-related and standard control signals at field level:
Communication with the master controller is via common fieldbus systems such as Profibus or DeviceNet
Communication of time-critical information to the PSS control system is via the safe bus system SafetyBUS p
Enable principle at field level for the implementation of safe applications in accordance with Category 4 of EN 954-1
Safe block switching for the implementation of safe applications in accordance with Category 3 of EN 954-1
For standard control functions
Connect digital and/or analogue sensors and actuators for standard automation functions to the PSSuniversal control platform decentrally at field level:
Communication with the master controller is via common fieldbus systems such as Profibus and DeviceNet
To record input signals, from rotary encoders, temperature sensors, for example
To drive motors, valves, for example
For safety-related functions
For decentralised input/output of safety-related functions at field level use
The modular PSSuniversal control platform if you wish to expand or change the number of inputs/outputs at a later date
Compact PSSuniversal input/output units if you have a fixed number of inputs/outputs
Communication with the programmable safety and control system PSScompact or PSSmodular is via the safe, open bus system SafetyBUS p.
Intelligent dovetailing of safety and standard
On the decentralised control platform PSSuniversal, safety-related and standard control functions are mixed physically but are logically separated from each other - thereby fulfilling the requirements for extremely short reaction times and absence of feedback. The PSSuniversal system is designed completely in accordance with Category 4 of EN 954-1 and SIL 3 of IEC 61508, as well as other international standards.
- Opt for a flexible, universal solution
- Communication without feedback through the enable principle
- Communication without feedback through safe block switching
- Rapid configuration with the PSSuniversal Assistant
- Stay independent with an open system
- Do you have hazardous production cycles that need to be monitored safely?
- Do you want to process signals for standard automation in the field?
- Or both?
You can assemble the input/output modules of the decentralised control platform individually, in accordance with your requirements for safety-related and/or standard control functions. The fine granularity of the PSSuniversal means you can adapt the system structure exactly to your requirements. When adjustments are made to the system at a later date, simply add new modules or exchange existing ones.
Communication without feedback through the enable principle
The PSSuniversal control platform uses the enable principle to compare incoming process control signals with safety-related information from the programmable safety and control system at decentralised level, enabling the signals when safe operation of the plant is guaranteed.
If the result is negative (e.g. safety gate is not closed properly), the PSSuniversal will not enable the incoming control signal (e.g. start the motor). Comparisons of measurements taken under real conditions have shown that this can reduce actual response times by more than 60 %.
Communication without feedback through safe block switching
Block switching is used to shut down the supply voltage to a group of standard outputs (e.g. several motors) when a hazardous event occurs. So when a hazardous event does occur - e.g. an E-STOP pushbutton is operated, the safe shutdown of a complete plant section is guaranteed, while other sections can continue to operate.
Rapid configuration with the PSSuniversal Assistant
Put the system structure together quickly and simply via "drag & drop": The PSSuniversal Assistant is the practical configuration tool that enables you to do this. And the PSSuniversal Assistant is available free of charge. You can enable it for use for programming functions when you purchase a relevant licence.
Stay independent with an open system
The PSSuniversal control platform can be connected to all common fieldbus systems and/or the safe, open bus system SafetyBUS p. So it is flexible and can be incorporated into existing control structures, covering both safety-related and/or standard control functions.
Benefit from a flexible system structure
The decentralised control platform PSSuniversal has a modular structure and is versatile for use with safety-related and/or standard control functions.
PSSuniversal head module
The head module connects the sensor/actuator level to master control systems
- For safety-related functions via SafetyBUS p
- For standard control functions via an interface to common fieldbus systems such as Profibus and DeviceNet
- It co-ordinates all of the process traffic and sets up internal communication with all the connected input/output modules on the control platform. Safety-related and standard control signals are also enabled in the head module via the enable principle.
PSSuniversal input/output modules
- Up to 64 input/output modules can be installed in any order. Depending on your application you can use input/output modules
- To monitor safety-related functions such as E-STOP, safety gate, light grid (yellow modules)
- For standard control functions, e.g. for temperature and speed monitoring (grey modules)
- Each input/output module is inserted on to a base module. When adjustments are made to the system at a later date, electronic modules can simply be exchanged, without the need to reconnect the periphery wiring.
PSSuniversal supply voltage module
Supply voltage modules support the internal supply voltage of the PSSuniversal control platform. They also enable the formation of different supply groups. All modules to the right of a supply voltage module are connected to the same supply.
PSSuniversal block switching module
Safe block switching can be used to form safe shutdown groups on the hardware side. If a hazardous event should occur, the block switching module will shut down all the standard output modules on its right-hand side. A shutdown group is brought to an end by a new supply voltage module, another block switching module or a terminating plate.
PSSuniversal base modules
Base modules are carrier units for the input/output modules, the supply voltage modules and the block switching module. These are simply inserted on to the base modules and can be exchanged quickly and easily when adjustments are made to the system. The field wiring is connected to the base modules. They are available with screw connection or cage clamp terminals.
Fast, simple installation
1. The head module is attached to the top hat rail
2. The relevant base modules are attached to the top hat rail
3. The modules are attached and connected
4. The terminating plate is attached with an end bracket
5. With just one click: the relevant electronic modules are connected
6. The modules are labelled