Norman G. Clark - The Norman G Clark Tilt Switch is an innovative device which can be used either with a Flight Systems Engine Saver, or as a stand alone switch.
It activates once a vehicle has reached a 70 degree tilt to the vertical in any direction. The switch action is irrevocable and connects to an audible alarm after a variable delay period. A 24 volt signal is then directed to the engine shutdown solenoid.
The Tilt Switch is designed to protect an incapacitated operator by shutting down the engine in the event of a vehicle roll-over or should the vehicle tilt beyond its normal operating attitude.
Tilt Switches are fitted in mining and construction equipment where machinery may be working on uneven or unstable ground.
The switch has the ability to activate an audible alarm (a visual signal can be added) and shutdown the engine whenever the machine tilts beyond an angle of 70° to the vertical in any direction. (this can be changed to suit a customers individual requirements).
Once the machine passed a desired tilt angle, an alarm and a delay timer will triggered (delay time may be set up to 60 seconds).
When the set delay time has elapsed (factory set to 30 seconds), a 24V DC output signal is generated, enabling the operating machine to shut-off.The relay contact time response is 15 milliseconds which is critical to most safety applications.
- The product can handle heavy power loads (rated current at 10A).
- A military style connector (MSC) type is used to enable harsh environment operations.
- A test switch is mounted on the enclosure.
- The enclosure casing is designed to meet strict automotive requirements for protection against dust, dirt, oil and water.
Specifications of Tilt Switches
- Tilt sensor body is made from Pactene UHMWPE
- Molecular weight approximately 4 million (Light Diffusion Method)
- Low specific weight 0.94g/cm3
- Extremely high notch impact strength
- High elasticity (viration absorption)
- Chemical resistance to most corrosive agents
- Self lubricating
- Unusually low abrasion guarantees long life
- Water repellent
- Favourable electrical properties permit many uses in the manufacture of electrical devices, especially high voltage and high frequency devices
- No sticking or freezing to the surface
- Physiologically harmless, as used in food industry
- Stable to -260ºC Used in cryogenics and freezing.
- No deformation caused by swelling.
A Steel ball inside the tilt sensor body is a “bridging point”; it allows contact between copper ring and copper plate which is wired as a triggering switch.
- 16 gauge steel body &16 gauge steel door
- Return flange design, formed around the body opening, diverts liquid contaminants away from the enclosure door opening
- Continuous hinge• Bonding provision on door
- Heavy duty plated latch secures door; tool required to secure latch
- Oil-resistant gasket provides an effective seal
- External wall-mounting brackets are 12 gauge steel
- Weldnuts provided for mounting optional panels and terminal block kits