Australian water chiller manufacturer Summit Matsu Chillers has come clean on being green – with some surprising results. The company focuses on increased chiller life, variable capacity screw compressors and eco-friendly refrigerants as the core of their sustainable approach.
“Summit Matsu Chillers uses only the highest quality components to ensure longer chiller life” said General Manager Daniel Rollston. “We see some of our competitors using thinner grades of aluminium for condenser fins, or not epoxy coating the fins, or using thinner grades of steel for cabinets, which just translates to shorter product life. This results in the need to replace equipment sooner and we believe this surely has a greater environmental impact than just buying a product like ours that is built for durability. When you look at the total cost of chiller ownership, and total environmental impact, Summit Matsu Chillers has a very good case.”
Specific green features of chillers from Summit Matsu Chillers
- Use of chlorine free refrigerants. Summit Matsu Chillers uses 407C and 134a refrigerants which do not deplete the ozone layer. These refrigerants also have a safety rating and are rated by ASHRAE* Standard 34 as “A1” meaning lower toxicity and no flame propagation.
- Use of “screw” type refrigeration compressors. These are by far the most efficient in terms of power consumption. Less power consumption = less greenhouse gas emissions. .
- Use of variable drive refrigeration compressors. Compressors are the heart of all chillers and pump refrigerant around the circuit. By using an automatic capacity control Summit Matsu Chillers conserve power by reducing capacity when the chiller is required to run at less than peak load.
- Use of high quality steel frames designed for outdoor use. Frames are designed to last for 20+ years. A chiller bought once will have a lower environmental impact than one that needs to be replaced.
- Use of high quality aluminium for finned heat exchangers. 12 fins per inch as standard. Some manufacturers use a thinner grade of aluminium and up to 18 fins per inch to save on space but these have a limited life and can corrode in 3-4 years compared to those on chillers by Summit Matsu Chillers which last up to 15 years.
- Use of epoxy coating on condenser fins – leads to less fin corrosion and longer condenser fin life – means lower total environmental impact.
- Customised options for chiller durability harsh environments. Additions could include marine grade aluminium casings, aluminium sound attenuators, or copper / copper finned coils for marine environments. By adding features for durability at the start, the chiller lasts in its harsh environment, and does not contribute to land-fill.
*ASRAE – The American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers
More information on similar applications and case studies can be found online at http://www.summitmatsu.com.au
For product enquiries please call 1300 CHILLERS (1300 244 553) or +61 2 9698 4666.