Australian chiller manufacturing company Summit Matsu Chillers has taken a leading role in increasing the quality of concrete at batch plants for Boral and Readymix concrete, offering water chiller systems that are far more environmentally sustainable than those imported from American or European companies. The recent delivery to Boral concrete at Weipa is one example.
The company focuses on increased chiller life, highest possible efficiency of refrigeration compressors and eco-friendly refrigerants as the core of their sustainable approach.
Colder water allows concrete companies to deliver higher quality concrete by increasing and controlling the setting time. Colder water also allows concrete companies to mix batches for longer which allows greater flexibility in the delivery schedule. Traditionally ice has been used but this is messy, expensive, requires manual intervention, and cannot give guarantees in terms of temperatures.
Specific features that have been used in recent chiller deliveries to concrete batch plants that increase the sustainability of chillers from Summit Matsu Chillers
- Direct heat exchange between refrigeration system and water which eliminates an intermediate heat exchanger and glycol system. This reduces overall parts used, reduces the introduction of glycol to the system, reduces environmental impact, and reduces the cost of the system.
- Use of heat exchanger capable of using recycled, reclaimed, or dirty water. Reduces the impact of batch plants on potable water supplies.
- Use of chlorine free refrigerants. Summit Matsu Chillers use 407C and 134a refrigerants which do not deplete the ozone layer.
- Use of most efficient refrigeration compressors. Less power consumption = less greenhouse gas emissions.
- Use of high quality steel frames designed for outdoor use. Frames are designed to last for 20+ years. A chiller bought once will have a lower environmental impact than one that needs to be replaced.
- Use of high quality aluminium for finned heat exchangers. 12 fins per inch as standard. Some manufacturers use a thinner grade of aluminium and up to 18 fins per inch to save on space but these have a limited life and can corrode in 3-4 years compared to those on chillers by Summit Matsu Chillers which last up to 15 years.
- Use of epoxy coating on condenser fins – leads to less fin corrosion and longer condenser fin life – means lower total environmental impact.
- Customised options for chiller durability harsh environments. Additions could include marine grade aluminium casings, aluminium sound attenuators, or copper / copper finned coils for marine environments. By adding features for durability at the start, the chiller lasts in its harsh environment, and does not contribute to land-fill.
Summit Matsu Chillers is a specialist manufacturer of process chillers customised to client applications. The company is currently working with a number of concrete companies to further increase chiller power efficiency.
More information on similar applications and case studies can be found online at http://www.summitmatsu.com.au
For product enquiries please call 1300 CHILLERS (1300 244 553) or +61 2 9698 4666.