none

Refrigeration company fined over explosion

10-10-2011
by 
in 

A refrigeration business in Kyabram, Victoria has been convicted and fined $45,000 over an explosion that left an apprentice with third degree burns to 35 per cent of his body.

The worker was performing a service check on a commercial refrigerator in the cellar of Echuca’s Bridge Hotel in July, 2009 when the explosion happened.

He suffered third degree burns to his arms, face, back and hands and was flown to the Alfred Hospital where he was in a coma for eight days. He hasn’t been able to work since the incident.

WorkSafe Victoria’s investigation found there was a leak in an acetylene gas torch. This resulted in a build up of gas, which could not disperse in the poorly ventilated cellar space. The gas bubble erupted when the worker lit the torch.

The investigation also found his employer, Kanga Coolers Pty Ltd, failed to:

• Comply with regulatory requirements for working safely within confined spaces
• Assess the need for the worker to use personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, gloves, fire retardant clothing or a fire extinguisher, as recommended in the manufacturer’s instructions
• Ensure the worker’s vehicle was adequately equipped to carry acetylene gas equipment in a secure upright position and ensure previous users had properly stored and transported the equipment
• Have a safe system of work in place for the regular inspection, cleaning and gas leak testing of the acetylene equipment
• Provide the worker with access to the acetylene equipment’s safety and operating instructions and be properly trained by his employer in accordance with those instructions.

Kanga Coolers Pty Ltd pleaded guilty in the Shepparton Magistrates’ Court recently to failing to provide a safe working environment and failing to provide proper information, instruction, training and supervision.

In sentencing, Magistrate Watkins took into account the company’s early guilty plea and stated remorse over the incident, but said the company had to accept responsibilities for its omissions.

Worksafe’s Construction and Utilities Division Acting Director, Allan Beacom said the incident should remind other businesses of the need to properly deal with flammable gases in confined spaces.

“This incident showed the devastating consequences of an explosion,” he said. 

“People should make sure cylinders, hoses and attachments are in good condition, turned off, secure and that there is proper ventilation in the event of a leak.

“While this young man suffered very serious injuries, the possibility of him or others dying was significant.” 

Related news & editorials

  1. worker
    07.05.2021
    07.05.2021
    by      In , In , In
    A $325,000 government grant has helped regional Victoria’s largest co-packing business increase its productivity through the introduction of an innovative product line and new automated equipment. 
    The grant, from the Agriculture Workforce Plan, has also enabled the Australian Disability Enterprise... Read More
  2. Production line
    07.05.2021
    07.05.2021
    by      In , In , In
    If you make craft beverages, the pride you take in brewing them is serious business. And most likely, you'd like as much control over getting your product into the hands of your customers as you have in crafting it in the first place. That's why choosing the right canning line is one of the most... Read More
  3. Holloway Group is one of the few Australian-based plastic injection moulding companies that can produce large goods.
    10.03.2021
    10.03.2021
    by      In , In
    When Matthew Holloway, Managing Director and owner of Holloway Group, came across an article about a concrete void filler product that was being made in China for an Australian company, he immediately knew it was something he could manufacture himself. 
    So he contacted the owner of the company that... Read More
  4. The brilliant TFT displays are protected by a glass front and feature a capacitive touch screen supporting multi-touch capability and gesture control.
    10.03.2021
    10.03.2021
    by      In , In , In
    Human-machine interfaces are a key component when applied to industrial automation. 
    Turck’s new HMI series enables cabinet-free operating and installation concepts with complete all-round IP67 protection at operating temperatures between -20 and +55°C
    With its high degree of protection, the TXF700... Read More
Products
Suppliers