Now in its 51st year, the Laboratory of the Year Awards continue to recognize excellence in research laboratory design, planning and construction. Judging for this year’s competition took place on March 28, and was conducted by a blue-ribbon panel of laboratory architects, engineers, equipment manufacturers, researchers and the editors of R&D Magazine and Laboratory Design.
This annual international competition receives entries from the best new and renovated laboratories. Eligible projects represent a wide variety of laboratory types, including research, quality assurance/control, teaching, software development, environmental, clinical, forensic, and testing and standards.
The 2017 Laboratory of the Year Judging Panel is proud to award this very prestigious achievement to the following facilities:
- Laboratory of the Year: The Francis Crick Institute, London, U.K. Submitted by HOK.
- Laboratory of the Year-High Honors: Allen Institute, Seattle, Wash. Submitted by Perkins+Will.
- Renovated Laboratory of the Year: Integrative Biosciences Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, Mich. Submitted by Harley Ellis Devereaux.
- Special Recognition for Collaborative Learning Environment: Enzi Educational Facility [STEM], Laramie, Wyo. Submitted by Anderson Mason Dale Architects.
- Special Recognition for Innovative Systems: Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Cambridge Campus, Cambridge, Mass. Submitted by Cannon Design.
The project teams were honored during the Laboratory Design Conference, held April 24-26, 2017, at the Raleigh Marriott Crabtree Valley in Raleigh, N.C. Team members received their awards and gave presentations on their projects.
Attendees at the conference were among the first to see the 2017 winners, enjoy an in-depth look at these stellar buildings and get the chance to discuss the specifics with the winning project teams.
A complete profile of the Laboratory of the Year, the Laboratory of the Year-High Honors, the Renovated Laboratory of the Year, and the Special Recognition awards will appear in the May/June 2017 issues of R&D Magazine and Laboratory Design.
The 51st annual Laboratory of the Year Awards are a joint program of R&D Magazine and Laboratory Design, publications of the Advantage Business Media Science Group.